Copyright Notice

Unless otherwise noted, all poetry, photographic images, artwork, and stories are owned by me, B.E. Locklear- Use of any material from this blog, including storing, transmitting, copying is STRICTLY prohibited without written permission. Please contact me by email if you see any unauthorized use on the Internet or other media to prevent plagiarism. Thank you so much!
B

Friday, March 16, 2012

QUITTIN' TIME


Quittin' Time



Suited up for battle-
My 4 inch heels clicking along the vast hallway of your heart
Hair, wild and lose- holding back the frizz just a little while longer.
Flawless makeup concealing the little girl playing with Mom's war paint
The seductive, black pencil skirt distracting from every flaw etched into my imagination
With sweaty hands I clutch the badge,
Praying the magnetic miracle wand will open the gates once more.
At the buzzer I set my chin.
Your eyes beg me to enter and evaluate the performance.
I resist a taste of my own lip- tension too thick to cut with office scissors.
Your hands cradle my face
Your smile disarms the shield of glazed ice
Slipping, the mask drops for today.
I exhale the tension
and sink into the comfort of you: my home.

(2-8-12 BEL)

4 comments:

  1. Love it, very to the point, great use of language, wonderful imagery. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, you will receive private commentary on this particular poem! Check your e-mail tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL- I am sure I have NO idea what you are talking about... ;) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Monica- glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete